A healthy diet can help the body in its efforts to heal itself, and in some cases, particular foods can lessen the risks of serious illness.
To help reduce your risk of some types of cancer, try the following:
- Avoid polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils and all foods that might contain trans-fatty acids (such as deep-fried foods).
- Minimize or eliminate consumption of foods with added sugar and other sweeteners including fruit juices.
- Increase omega-3 fatty acid intake by eating more cold-water oily fish, freshly ground flaxseed and walnuts.
- Eat plenty of fresh vegetables and fruit.
- Use hormone-free, organically raised and grown products whenever possible. Eat shiitake, enokidake, maitake and oyster mushrooms frequently.
- Drink green tea daily.